Import ban will affect 6% of all dogs imported into US, says Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The top health agency in the US said Monday that it will temporarily suspend imports of dogs from more than 100 countries classified as high risk for rabies as of July 14.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the ban will also apply to countries that are not at high risk for the disease if the dogs have been in high-risk countries during the previous six months.
“This temporary action is necessary to ensure the health and safety of dogs imported into the United States and to protect the public’s health against the reintroduction of canine rabies virus variant (dog rabies) into the United States,” said the CDC in a statement.
The countries include the Dominican Republic, Colombia, Cuba, China, Russia and Ukraine as well as Venezuela, Afghanistan, India, Saudi Arabia and the Philippines.
According to CDC estimates, 6% of all dogs imported into the US arrive from the countries at high risk for dog rabies.
• Algeria, Angola
• Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi
• Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte D’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
• Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti
• Egypt (Temporary importation suspension of dogs from Egypt until further notice)
• Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini (Swaziland), Ethiopia
• Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau
• Lesotho, Liberia, Libya
• Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique
• Namibia, Niger, Nigeria
• Republic of the Congo, Rwanda
• Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan
• Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Togo, Tunisia
• Western Sahara
• Zambia, Zimbabwe
Americas & Caribbean
• Belize, Bolivia, Brazil
• Colombia, Cuba
• Dominican Republic
• Ecuador, El Salvador
• Guatemala, Guyana
• Haiti, Honduras
Asia and the Middle East, Eastern Europe
• Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan
• Bangladesh, Belarus, Bhutan, Brunei
• Cambodia, China (excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan)
• India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq
• Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
• Laos, Lebanon
• Malaysia, Moldova, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma)
• Nepal, North Korea
• Pakistan, Philippines
• Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria
• Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste (East Timor), Turkey, Turkmenistan
• Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan