REMARKS BY THE MINISTER OF ICT, POSTAL AND COURIER SERVICES, HON. DR. J. MUSWERE AT THE LUNCHEON HOSTED FOR AFRICAN AMBASSADORS ON THE 10TH ORDINARY SESSION OF THE PAPU PLENIPOTENTIARY CONFERENCE AND THE 39TH ORDINARY SESSION OF THE ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL, 14TH JUNE 2020 AT THE MEIKLES HOTEL, HARARE
Your Excellencies, it is my singular honour and pleasure to address you at this important gathering. First of all, allow me to proffer my sincere appreciation to all of you for sparing time to meet with us despite your busy commitments.
As has been mentioned by my colleague, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Zimbabwe will be hosting the Pan African Postal Union (PAPU) Plenipotentiary Conference at the Kingdom Hotel in Victoria Falls from the 21st to the 25th of June 2021. This important meeting will be attended by various member states physically and virtually.
The Guest of Honour to the PAPU Plenipotentiary Meeting will be the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe, His Excellency, Dr. E. D. Mnangagwa, who will deliver a Keynote address and officially open the Conference on Friday 25th June 2021.
As you might be aware, Zimbabwe has been a member of the Pan African Postal Union since 1980, and has actively participated in the Union’s activities, meetings and activities led by our regulatory body POTRAZ. Our designated Postal Operator, Zimpost, participated in PAPU joint stamp issues and is actively involved in the Customs Declaration System Project which we hope will be completed soon.
During the Conference, Ministers will consider a number of agenda items that include the forthcoming Universal Postal Union Congress, the opening up of the UPU to private players, PAPU’s Budget and Programme of Activities for the period 2021-2025 as well as digitization of the postal services among other issues.
Moreover, the Conference will also focus on the leadership renewal for PAPU, for the position of Secretary General and Assistant Secretary General Positions.
Your Excellencies, given the foregoing, I want to take this opportunity to inform you that Zimbabwe will be fielding a SADC-endorsed Candidate to contest for the position of PAPU Secretary General during the Plenipotentiary meeting. This distinguished candidate is Mr. Sifundo Chief Moyo, the Post Master General of Zimbabwe Posts Pvt. (Limited).
He is a qualified and extensively experienced postal expert whose proficiency and leadership are complimented by his strong academic background.
He has received extensive postal technical training and international industry experience. Mr Moyo has participated in various engagements on the postal sector growth and development for over 25 years.
Over the years, he has participated in international postal events, forums, meetings and conferences under the auspices of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), Pan-African Postal Union (PAPU), and the Southern African Postal Operators Association (SAPOA) and other International Postal Bodies.
Furthermore, Mr Moyo has accomplished the following among other milestones;
• He is an International Speaker on Postal Transformation and Strategy
• He was a panellist at the WSIS Forum co-organised by UPU, UNCTAD and ITC: Posts support for E-commerce and SME during COVID times on 6th May 2021.
• He has worked on UPU Postal Reform Consultancy Missions in Malawi (2007) and Ethiopia (2011).
• He was invited as a Resource Expert on Terminal Dues for the Asia Pacific Postal Union (APPU) in Singapore.
• He has featured prominently as a Panellist and Speaker at SADC Ministers for ICT and Posts Conferences, PAPU-organised UPU Strategy Round Table Meetings, Africa CEO Forums, and SAPOA Postal Forums.
• During the PAPU 40th Anniversary Celebrations Mr. Moyo received, on behalf of Zimpost and the Country, the PAPU Honorary Award ‘On Outstanding Contribution to Postal Development as a Quality-of-Service Champion’
Mr. Moyo holds a Masters’ Degree in Business Administration (NUST), a BSc Economics Degree (UZ) and an Advanced Diploma in Transport and Logistics (UK) amongst the local and international postal training sessions he has been exposed to.
Accordingly, in recognition of his capacity and expertise, Mr. Moyo has been entrusted with positions of responsibility and leadership in the technical committees of various international postal bodies which include,
• 2018- to date Chairman of the SAPOA CEO’s Forum
• 2014 – 2015 Chairman, SAPOA Operations Directors’ Forum.
• 2010 – 2014 Steering Committee Member, SAPOA Operations Directors` Forum
• 2008 – 2013 Chairman, SAPOA Terminal Dues Task Force.
• 2005 – 2006 Chairman, Postal Committee, Association of Regulators of Information and Communication for Eastern and Southern Africa (ARICEA), and
• 2004 – 2007 Committee Member, Southern Africa Postal Regulators Association, (SAPRA)
Your Excellencies, on behalf of the Zimbabwean government, we humbly appeal to you and your respective countries to support our candidate for the PAPU Secretary General post as this will benefit the Union, and solidify the Continent’s postal vision in the global geo-postal space.
Like what the famous African proverb advocates for, “If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together”. Indeed, the UBUNTU spirit nurtures brotherhood and if we embrace it, we will conquer and ensure that our African ethos, vision and values are sustainably preserved in International Organizations.
Relatedly, this dovetails well with one of our key national priorities of Image-building, International Engagement and Re-engagement as enshrined in our National Development Strategy (NDS1), which was launched by His Excellency, the President, Cde. Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa, in November last year.
As I conclude, I would like to state that the Candidate’s Manifesto is available to provide more details on his qualifications, experience and contribution to the Postal Sector.
I Thank you All
Zimbabwe is Open for Business