By Tafadzwa Chigandiwa
The Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has called off all its cricket activities following Government’s recent directive to suspend all sporting activities in the country in an effort to try mitigate the spread of Covid-19 pandemic.
The cricket governing body confirmed the new development in a statement which was issued on Monday.
ZC’s decision to halt cricket activities comes after Minister of Health and Child Care, Constantino Chiwenga, last Saturday, imposed newly improved lockdown restrictions which saw all sporting activities being placed on hold starting on Monday till further notice.
“ZC puts all cricket activities on hold pending appeal following a directive to suspend all sporting activities in the country as part of the latest Covid-19 lockdown restrictions imposed by the government with effect from
Monday 14 June,” reads ZC’s statement.
ZC indicated they cancelled the four-day match between Zimbabwe A and South Africa A which had started on Sunday.
However, in their statement ZC also highlighted that they lodged an urgent appeal to Government through the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) seeking permission to finish the four day international match against South Africa A.
In addition, the cricket governing body revealed they would plead with Government to allow them prepare for other upcoming international tours that were lined up and they had already committed themselves to.
ZC said given that there are granted the greenlight by the high authorities they would adhere to the Covid-19 protocols.
“As we make this request, the health and safety of our players, support staff and our communities remains our top priority,” said ZC
“Having successfully hosted international and domestic tournaments at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic under the bio-secure environment with the matches being played behind closed doors with no spectators allowed in the stadia and with all those directly involved undergoing several test for the coronavirus and staying in secluded accommodation facilities.
“We believe we are well-equipped and experienced enough to safely resume with our cricket activities.”
You Might Also Like
New York Post Lustful Olympic athletes should think twice before making the bed rock in Tokyo. The world’s...