There are eight vacancies to be filled on the NPRC.
One vacancy arose in February 2020 when a member resigned and the other seven in February 2021 when the 5-year term of office of the commissioners came to an end.
The Chairperson is directly appointed by the President but the NPRC current chairperson, Justice Sello Nare, is only coming into his fourth year of office and so this will not apply to him.
Previous Commissioners had only served one term and are, therefore, eligible for re-appointment.
In fact, five of them are on the list of candidates to be interviewed [we have marked their names with the # symbol in the list below]. Section 17 of the Constitution states that at least four of the members should be women.
Section 236 of the Constitution specifically states that members of Commissions are to be non-political.
It is however possible for a political party member to be appointed to the Commission but he/she must relinquish his/her membership of the political party within 30 days of such appointment.
For example, in the list provided by Parliament [see below], Obert Gutu is a shortlisted candidate who has recently publicly joined ZANU-PF, so if he were appointed by the President he would have to resign promptly.
And this would apply to any other appointee who is a member of a political party.
The following twenty-nine (29) candidates who meet the above criteria, have hence been shortlisted for interviews which will be held in public on the 14th April, 2021.
1. CHADA, GODFREY. T. Dr. # MALE 09:00hrs
2. CHIBUNDU JOSHUA. Mr. MALE 09:15hrs
3. CHEKENYERE, GORDEN.D. Dr. # MALE 09:30hrs
4. CHIMANGE, GETRUDE. Ms. MALE 09:45hrs
5. CHIRADZA, PATIENCE. Z. Ms. # FEMALE 10:00hrs
6. DODO, OBADIAH. Dr. MALE 10:15hrs
7. DUBE, DONWELL. Dr. MALE 10:30hrs
TEA BREAK – 10:45HOURS – 11: 00HOURS
8. GUTU, OBERT.C. Mr. MALE 11:00hrs
9. GWERE, NOMAQHAWE. Mrs. FEMALE 11:15hrs
10. JACK, PETER. Mr. MALE 11:30hrs
11. MACHISA, OKAY. Mr. MALE 11:45hrs
12. MANDEYA, ROBERT. Mr. MALE 12:00hrs
13. MANDIWOMA, ELIZABETH. Mrs. FEMALE 12:15hrs
14. MHANDARA, LAWRENCE. Dr. MALE 12:30hrs
15. MOYO, CHIROPAFADZO. Rev. Dr. MALE 12:45hrs
16. MUCHECHETERE, ANDREW. A. Rev. MALE 13:00hrs
13:15HOURS – 1400HRS – LUNCH BREAK
17. MUNEMO, DOUGLAS. Dr. MALE 14:00hrs
18. MUSHUNJE, MILDRED. Dr FEMALE 14:15hrs
19. MUTSHINA, MARILYN. Ms. FEMALE 14:30hrs
20. NCUBE, LESLIE. Dr #. MALE 14:45hrs
21. NDLOVU, TSHIMUMOYO. Ms. FEMALE 15:00hrs
22. NDORO, CHOICE. Mrs.# FEMALE 15:15hrs
23. NGWENYA, KHOLWANI. Mr. MALE 15:30hrs
24. NYAMUKACHI, EARNEST. Mr. MALE 15:45hrs
25. RUKUNI, TINASHE. Dr. MALE 16:00hrs
26. SHAMBARE, JOSEPHINE. Dr. FEMALE 16:15hrs
27. TARU, JOSIAH. Dr. MALE 16:30hrs
28. VHIRIRI, THAMMARY. B. Mrs. FEMALE 16:45hrs
29. ZODZI, ANGELICA. Ms. FEMALE 17:00hrs