Professor Sunungurai Dominica Chingarande has been appointed as the new Vice Chancellor of the Women’s University in Africa, effective 1 April 2021, succeeding Professor Hope Cynthia Sadza, the University’s Founding Vice Chancellor. Prof Chingarande is a renowned academic and gender expert.
She has a Master of Science degree in Sociology and Social Anthropology and a PhD in Sociology. She is an academic who once worked for the University of Zimbabwe from 1998-2014.
She sits on the editorial board of the Zimbabwe Research Council.
She is a consultant in the area of Gender and Women Empowerment.
She assisted in the compilation of data and report for the Gender Situation Analysis of Key Sectors in Zimbabwe for the Ministry of Women Affairs, Gender and Community Development in 2012.
1. Chingarande S. D (forthcoming) Climate Change and Rural Livelihoods in Guruve District: a Gender Analysis in Alternation Volume 20 number 2
2. Mugabe, P. H, Kujinga K & Chingarande S.D (forthcoming) Land reform migrations and forest resources management in Zimbabwe
3. Chingarande S.D (forthcoming) A Gender Analysis of Coping with Poverty in Zimbabwe: A Historical Perspective in Chitando. E, Phiri, G and Nyakudya, M (eds) Scaling New Heights? The Zimbabwean Economy and Society, 1998-2008, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
4. Chingarande, S.D (forthcoming) Local Perceptions Of Poverty In Zimbabwe in Manjengwa, J (ed)‘Understanding poverty, promoting wellbeing and sustainable development: A sample survey of 16 districts in Zimbabwe’
5. Chingarande, S.D, Mugabe, P.H, Kujinga, K&Magaisa E 2012 Struggles within struggles: Gender and Land Reform Experiences In Chimanimani, Zimbabwe. Journal of Social Development in Africa Special Issue Volume 27 No. 1
6. Kujinga, K, Chingarande, S.D, Mugabe. P.H 2012 Interface between Research, Development and Local Actors in Enhancing Sustainable Forest Resources Management: Lessons From Chimanimani District, Zimbabwe. Journal of Social Development in Africa Special Issue Volume 27 No. 1
7. Chingarande, S.D 2009 The Women’s Movement and the struggle for land in Zimbabwe, CLACSO Southern Paper Series # 3
8. Chingarande S.D 2008 Gender and the Struggle for Land Equity in Zimbabwe in Contested Terrain: Land Reform and Civil Society in Contemporary Zimbabwe, Sam Moyo, Kirk Helliker and Tendai Murisa (eds), S&S Publishing
9. Chingarande S.D 2004 Review of the Zimbabwean Agricultural Sector following the Implementation of the Land Reform: Gender and the Fast Track Land reform in Zimbabwe, Monograph Series Issue No 6/2004, African Institute for Agrarian Studies, Harare
10. Chingarande, S.D 2011 A Critical Review of the National Youth Service programme in Zimbabwe, NANGO, Zimbabwe
11. Chingarande, S.D 2010 Gender and Livelihoods in Nyabamba A1 Resettlement Area, Chimanimani District of Manicaland Province in Zimbabwe, Livelihoods After Land Reform in Zimbabwe, Working Paper #5
12. Gutsa, I & Chingarande, S.D 2009 ‘Changing Residential Composition in a Home for the Elderly? The Case of Bumhudzo Hospital Home in Chitungwiza, Zimbabwe’ in Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa Volume 11 Number 1 2009
13. Chingarande S.D 2007 “An analysis of Gender Related Developments and challenges in Zimbabwe since Independence” in Maphosa, F, Kujinga K and Chingarande S.D (eds) Zimbabwe’s Development Experiences since 1980: Challenges and Prospects for the Future
14. Chingarande S.D and Maphosa, F 2007 “Migration as a Coping Strategy: The Case of Illegal Migrants from Zimbabwe to the United Kingdom and South Africa” in Maphosa, F, Kujinga K and Chingarande S.D (eds) Zimbabwe’s Development Experiences since 1980: Challenges and Prospects for the Future