By Staff Reporter
Information from Bulawayo said one doctor suffered a fractured leg at Mpilo Central Hospital after a staff residence was gutted by fire around midnight.
“I am saddened by the news that the doctor’s residence at one of our central hospitals, Mpilo, was destroyed by fire last night,” MDC Alliance president Nelson Chamisa said.
“We must do whatever we can as Zimbabweans to assist our Doctors during this dark hour. I urge citizens to rally around Mpilo.#WeThePeople
Property with an estimated US$500 000 was destroyed in the fire where 39 health workers were forced to jump out through a window to save their lives.
“Please assist using the details below. Please be kind by RETWEETING this information. These doctors serve US for a pittance, it is our turn to help them,” Hopewell Chin’ono posted oh his twitter account.
Witnesses said the fire, caused by an electric fault had spread to the whole building within a minute.
Mpilo acting chief executive officer Professor Solwayo Ngwenya said the hospital is arranging alternative accommodation for affected families.
“This is to inform you that last night one of our staff residences was destroyed by a massive fire. It affected 39 health workers and their families. We were very lucky that no one was seriously injured,” said Prof Ngwenya.
“One person suffered a broken ankle and another had smoke inhalation effects but is stable. Our thoughts are with the affected members and their families.”
Prof Ngwenya said some staff residents reported seeing sparks from an electrical distribution box which could have caused the fire